Sharing information and promoting earthbag building
by Dr. Owen Geiger
Sometimes you need machines to speed the work. Maybe there's an urgent need due to flooding, or maybe you're building a large number of sandbag (earthbag) houses. Here's a sampling of some of the sandbag filling machines currently available.
Ensor Equipment, Inc. www.ensorequipment.com
- Feeds, fills, closes, and discharges full sandbags automatically.
(For more on this bag filling machine, see our Earthbag Building Blog: earthbagbuilding.wordpress.com I also wrote a longer article that includes an interview with Ernest Engle, VP of Ensor: earthbagbuilding.com
Superior Sandbag Systems www.superiorsandbag.com
This tube filling machine fills continuous polypropylene tubing. So far it's been used for erosion control, but it could be utilized to mass produce affordable housing. Steve Villa and Steve Williams, the owners of Superior Sandbag Systems, invented the process and received a US patent in 2000.
Sandbag material is available in 6,000-lineal-foot rolls. The Superior Sandbagging hopper can fill 240 feet of bag at a time without stopping. A two-person crew can fill and place 240 feet of tubing in 90 seconds.
(A little more about this machine is on our Earthbag Building Blog: earthbagbuilding.wordpress.com
3W Enterprises www.3went.com
They have a mobile sandbag machine that can come out to your jobsite or yard and make the sandbags right there. They offer machine rental, sale of sandbags- empty or filled, delivery of sandbags, if needed, and prompt and courteous service. Their sandbags are available in different colors and sizes. They can fill bags with your desired content -- sand, pea gravel, etc.
C-MAC bagging equipment www.cmac.com.au
This company offers the widest range of bag filling machines I've found so far. Machines are available for sale or hire.
They offer single and double hopper models. The single hopper shown below uses a foot pedal activated heat sealer to close bags and roller conveyor.
Fills 1,600 sandbags an hour
Power Sandking 800 Turbo www.sandking.de
- Drive: Power take off from a tractor or similar vehicle or as an additional option: electric motor drive
Use the MH-400 with Cross Conveyor to quickly and effectively fill sand bags.
Megga Bagger www.meggabagger.com
With her machine, Malone says she could fill a bag every 2 to 10 seconds. The Megga Bagger allows you to fill sandbags faster with fewer personnel. This saves time and labor! Megga Baggers are self contained and portable. All products are Underwriter Laboratories (UL) approved. Ergonomics play an important role in the design and construction of the Megga Bagger. Flat faced hoppers coupled with adjustable slide tables significantly reduce back strain and fatigue, thus reducing the chance of injury and increasing production. Festo Pneumatics, Honda generators and adjustable Martin Engineering Vibrators are examples of components that come standard with your automated Megga Bagger.
- Single station chute & manual slide gate chute
The Sand Master by barriersystemsllc.com for skid steers, backhoes, loaders and excavators can efficiently fill, securely close, deliver and stack up to 26 sandbags at a time. The equipment is designed to fit many different models of machines. It is capabable of filling as many as 6,240 bags in an 8-hour period. What separates the SandMaster from most other sandbag filling machines is that they only replace the shovel, and most materials, wet or dry, can be used with the SandMaster in the event sand is unavailable.
Progressive Innovations www.progressiveinnovations-llc.com
We have designed and brought to market three new products.
1. ProBagger: The design of this unique skid-steer attachment allows the operator to fill twelve (12) 14" x 26" poly or burlap sandbags at the same time. Simply attach the bags, scoop the sand, or other material, tilt the bucket back up which fills all twelve bags; drive to your desired location, tilt the bucket and release the hydraulics. Your bags are left standing and all that is left is to tie the bags and place them in position. Any material that can flow into a bag can be filled faster and with more ease using the Pro Bagger®.
2. Quik Levee Builder: This unique machine will build a three and a half foot high levee, 200 feet long in approximately 90 minutes replacing about 10,000 sandbags. (It makes one large, long bag.) The Quik Levee Builder® is capable of building levees for floods, chemical containment and spills, storing salt, sand, gravel, soils, grains, etc. Millions of dollars of property can be protected in a short amount of time and using much less labor than conventional methods. Beach erosion, wind and sand erosion, heavy surf abatement are some of the other problems that the Quik Levee Builder® can be employed to protect landscaped property and buildings. www.progressiveinnovations-llc.com
3. The Instee Levee Builder® is a skid steer attachment that can build an 18" barrier, 400' long in approximately 1 hour. This machine was designed to be filled with clean fill dirt which is less expensive then sand. Like the Quik Levee Builder®, this smaller machine can save millions of dollars of property in a short amount of time and using less labor than conventional methods. The Instee Levee Builder® can also be employed to protect landscaped property and buildings. www.progressiveinnovations-llc.com
The Sandbagger is a low cost, safe, transportable, fast and efficient sandbag filling machine capable of very high production. It can be set up on site in minutes and then moved as quickly to another priority area.
Mammut filling mixer www.mammut.at
- Robust and operation friendly construction
The Sandboy is a volume batching apparatus for one tandem-bag or 2 single bags at a time.
- It is ideal for manual charging or by means of a truck-mixer.
Sahara Sand packing machine www.ogniochron.eu
Using two feeders, two people are able to take up to 750 bags of sand in the weight of 25 kg each in the time of 1 hour. Every bag is filled with the equal amount of sand which ranges from 20 to 40 kg.. The required weight can be manually set at the beginning or changed during the operation. The same weight of sand is a great facilitation for carriers. A convenient and practical fastener enables a quick and painless closing of sandbag. Weight without sand: 400 kg. It is available with a belt conveyor.
Using just 1 machine operator (instead of 24 laborers), Mr. SandmanT fills, seals, and discharges over 1,000 sandbags per hour. This sand bagging machine can be towed to any site behind a standard pickup truck. It makes and fills sandbags, dropping them off the rear conveyor, replacing dozens of workers manually filling and carrying bags to where they are needed. Currently seeking licensing partners.
Mr. SandmanT cuts polypropylene bags from a roll and fills each one with about 50 lbs. of sand, seals, and discharges finished bags to the rear. There are two independent filling stations, allowing one side to run continuously while replacing bag rolls on the other side. The machine is mounted on a heavy-duty trailer, so it can be towed while operating-dropping bags where they are needed most.
This mobile unit does not require gravity feeding like other systems do. The enormous costs of time and resources can be reduced dramatically with this high-speed sandbagging technology. Back-breaking and costly labor can be reduced or eliminated with the SandBadger.
Sanding Truck sandbagging apparatus www.freepatentsonline.com
United States Patent 6598629
Sandbagging attachment for dump trucks www.freepatentsonline.com
United States Patent 3552346
A sand bagger adapted for association with the rear end of the rearwardly tiltable body of a dump truck for receiving loose sand or soil from said body and including a power vibrated hopper equipped with an auger for uniformly distributing sand transversely in the hopper, the latter having multiple manually controlled gated bagging chutes for withdrawing sand from said hopper at a multiple of bagging stations.
Disclaimer of Liability and Warranty
For Email contact go to About Us
We are interested in communication from others who are exploring